Friday, July 1

Beach Bums

What is that saying about the best laid plans of mice and men?

Bennett had a retirement party to go to.  After failing at getting a sitter for the girls, I decided to stay home with them while Bennett attended the party.  Thinking to make the best of it, after all where up from their naps, I asked if they would like to go play in the sprinkler outside.  It has been so hot lately that I thought the cool water would feel great myself. 

Now getting three girls ready is an event all to itself, even if we where just going outside.  But with only a few cravings for chocolate and a few moments in silence counting to ten, I managed to get us all suited up, and out the door. 

Within moments the girls were enjoying to sprinkler and I even was positioned just so that I was getting a few drops here and there.  The girls were enjoying themselves and I was enjoying watching them.  Memories flooding of days gone by and my own times of playing in the water.  And then something else sparked a memory.

In the scorching heat of a Texas summer everything is desperate for relief from the dry and hot weather, including wasps. Within moments of spotting the first wasp dipping down to play with the girls in the water there were now five, no make that closer to ten wasp all clamoring for time in the water.  And the girls were right there running along with them.  I began  to be concerned, as even more showed up, that the girls would step on one.

So with a bit of grumbling, and even one brave "I don't care if I get stung" comment from my five year old, we went  back into the house.  Quickly racking my brain for some way to recapture the moment, I came up with a spark of pure genius, or desperation, depending on how you look at it.

Grabbing a few freshly laundered towels that were sitting folded on the couch (I knew that me getting the laundry actually folded the same day it was washed was too good to be true,) I said to the girls, "Let's pretend to be a the beach, we will watch a beachy movie too!"  I quickly let the girls pick out a towel, help them spread it on the living room floor, and grabbed for the netflix remote. After typing in "BEACH" in the search box I found a "Barney Let's go to the beach" episode.  Perfect.  The girls watching the movie, Alyssa looks at me and says, "now we need a beachy snack." 

Running (okay so not really running, we have to be realistic) to the pantry, I looked for anything that would work as a beach snack.  Seeing the graham cracker crumbs I had a moment of inspiration.  Below is the recipe for a "Beachy Snack."

Beachy Snack

1 Box Chocolate or Vanilla Instant Pudding
2 Cups of Milk
5 Tablespoons Graham Cracker Crumbs
Various "Beach" items  Example--Goldfish crackers, Swedish fish, Paper umbrellas, fruit roll ups cut to look like beach towels, etc.

Mix Pudding according to package directions.  Pour into four bowls in equal portions.  Top with graham cracker crumbs.  Decorate with Beach items.  Enjoy!

The girls really enjoyed our impromptu beach party, and I did to.  Plus I remembered a very important lesson that I learned from my mother growing up.  There will be plenty of things in life that don't turn out like you want them to.  But there is always the chance to make the best of any situation, and make a lasting memory.

Okay, the girls are done and now arguing over who gets what beach towel.  :)  Time to go mommy. 




No comments: