Friday, October 23

Our BIG adventure

So yesterday I had a wic appointment, but since it was raining Bennett had to take the car to work. No motorcycle. *FROWN* I started to just call and cancel the appointment. Like I had done all the other times. But I didn't. Nope, I choose a road less traveled. We walked. Now let me just say, that it had stopped raining, and was really a nice fall day. The temperature was about 58 degrees, and it was nice and crisp outside. Our wic office is here in town, and is only about a mile and a half from our house. So we got dressed warmly, packed our lunch in our new lunch bags (25 cents each at walmart on clearance!) And we set off. I love my Phil & Teds stroller, Alyssa up front, Makayla behind, and Samara strapped to my chest in my Ergo (also one of the things that I couldn't do without.) Alyssa has been watching Dora, so I made a crude map of where we where going, and a couple of things that we would pass. As we walked we talked about the seasons in the year, and what makes leaves turn colors and fall to the ground. We talked about looking both ways when we cross a street. What the Don't Walk/Walk signs mean. It was a great day. Plus I got some good exercise. Samara slept just about the whole time, minus when we where actually at the WIC appointment. The wind had picked up a little on the way home, but I had put a couple of small blankets in the stroller, and that kept the kids warm. Samara fit snugly in my jacket with me. Perfect. We picked up several leaves and a pine cone to remember our trip with. Later today I plan on helping Alyssa glue them to a paper, and we will hang it on our classroom walls. The walk was a great reminder that not all schooling needs to take place in the classroom. There is a wealth of learning outside four walls.

When we where almost home, I got to thinking about what people did before cars. I have really been wanting a second car. I hate feeling left at home without one, even when I am not planning on going anywhere. But yesterday was a little liberating for me. I am not without a mode of transportation. My feet work just fine. I have been blessed with the means to get up and move. And thankfully we live in town. With in just two miles of our house, is all sorts of things that I can take advantage of. And it was really a fun treat for the girls. Alyssa was asking if we could go on anther walk after nap time. :) Now it won't always been nice enough weather to get out and walk, but it will be sometimes, and I plan on taking advantage of it.

2 comments:

Karina said...

That sounds wonderful! and yes we are always teaching even when not in a classroom.... YOur adventure was a great one! When I say that, something crazy usually happens!

Jennifer said...

i LOVE walking. i wish we could walk places. it sounds like ya'll had a great adventure.