Saturday, January 8

New Year New Life

It was that time again.  You know, the time that we all make and set our goals for the next year.  Lose weight, get in shape, read more books, watch less TV, spend more time with the Family, quit smoking, get out of debt, start a new hobby, go on a vacation, help others, get more organized, volunteer more, recycle more, get a better job, go back to school....I could keep going, but you get the point I am sure.  For some of us, making a New Year's resolution is the same as eating black eyed peas on the 1st--it is just something we do.  Some of us keep these resolutions, devoting a large amount of time, money, and energy into changing something in our lives that we are sure is going to make us happier, healthier, and more content with the life that we lead.  And for many of us, by the time February 1st rolls around, we are already feeling guilty that we haven't done more, done less, or basically changed something about ourselves that we were convinced needed changing.  So we recommit and buckle down.  We get back to business.  And by some wonder of wonders some of us actually make it and follow through with the "a new you" commitment and achieve something.

For a couple of years now I too have jumped, no lept to the "New Year, New You" band wagon.  And like most others, I have ended up, in a muddy pot hole along the side of the road with a bruised shin.  (With the exception of last year, which was my and my husband's "No Babies in 2010" year, and you would just have to know us to fully appreciate.)  Well, inspired by the success of last year's resolution I have started out the gates this year ready to head up my next challenge.  Many different ideas popped into my head, just see above, there are many different things to choose from.  Lose weight, and get fit seemed to be topping out my list. But lets face it, I love food to much right now.  There is a reason that many college students put on extra pounds.  And add to that the amount of chocolate necessary for a mom of three small children, I'd have no chance.  So it was getting organized that actually won out in the end.  Even if getting organized was only number 10 on the Top New Year's Resolution list

So armed with a determination to complete this year's goal, I did what I do best.  Started making a plan.  Even as I type this I can hear my husband groaning.  He hates strongly dislikes when I get in my planning mode.  But that is who I am.  I am a planner.  I love to have plans.  The details, the decisions, the writing it all down, putting it on a calendar.  I am a little OCD about it.  Oh, and lets not forget researching about it.  To the computer I went, looking up articles, blogs, resources to help me complete my goal.  I day dreamed for just a moment about having the money to hire a professional organizer.  But then I realized that if I had the money to hire a professional organizer, I would also have the money to hire a housekeeper.  And if I had the money to do those things, well, I would not be sitting here at my computer on a Saturday morning, with the sounds of the children watching Saturday morning cartoons in the background.  Can we say a iced mocha and a beach...




 or a hot cappuccino and a cabin in the snowy mountains...



But I digress.  Organization.  Planning.  Surfing the Internet----something had to change, or I would be making this next years resolution.  So I came up with an easy plan, and I am telling as many people about it as possible.  I need people to help keep me on track. 

So hear it is.....(drum roll please).....THE PLAN.

Eat More Chocolate!

Just kidding, sorry, I couldn't resist.  No, the Plan is twelve months, twelve zones.  Each month I will tackle one zone.  I will clean, clear out, organize.  Finish those things that I have been putting off.  You know, like cleaning the blinds.  Ick!  Can't I just buy new ones?

Hear are the zones:  Living room, girl's room, bathroom/hallway, master bedroom, dinning room, kitchen, attic, classroom, laundry room, outside front, outside back, and shop.  They won't necessarily be in that order, the outside areas, the shop, and the attic will be done in the spring and fall when it isn't to hot or cold.  I will be blogging about each zone and what I have done as a way to stay accountable.

The first zone, the living room.  I am going in folks.  If you don't hear from me within the week, you might want to send out a search party.

1 comment:

Karina said...

Keep us posted.....LOl good luck!