Tuesday, July 12

Beating the Heat

It is hot.  In fact, hot doesn't even begin to describe it in my opinion.  If you are in the south, you know what I am talking about.  Everything is brown and dead.  Nothing will grow.  My poor little tomato plant managed to produce three sickly little tomatoes and now the plant is dying.  (At which point I sliced it into five little slices, one for each of us.  When I presented Bennett with his, I said, "Here my love, I have produced food, we will each again next year.)

There are several parts to this heat that make things hard.  First, I am going to cringe when I get our electric bill.  Our A/C has been running none stop for what seems like weeks.  I awoke in the middle of the night with a night mare that included the thoughts of what in the world we would do if our A/C went out.

Another thing that makes the heat hard, is that the girls can't really go outside and play in the heat.  I mean when the temperature is 105 F (or higher,) it is too hot to play outside.  They have been shut up in the house so much lately, they are practically bouncing off the walls and hanging from the ceiling fans.

It is no wonder then that my nerves are frazzled and I feel like my house is constantly a mess and that I can't seem to get anything done. 

So today while waiting for it to be time to go pick up Bennett from work, I took the girls to McDonald's to play.  The girls get to play with other kids and get all that energy out.  And Bonus: McDonald's has WiFi so I can get online and blog about the experience.  (Shouldn't I now get free chicken nuggets or McFlurries for advertising for them?)

Not that I would eat the McFlurries.  I am trying to lose weight. And so far I feel like I am failing miserably.  I have gained THREE pounds.  Now maybe that weight gain was because I enjoyed a little too much Chinese and Mexican food this weekend.  Or maybe it was because for some reason this weekend the two youngest decided to have a contest on who could nurse the most, so that three pounds could simply be excess booba juice weight.

Okay, well back to beating the heat.  I think that it is just something I will have to manage one day at a time. But with no end in site of lessening temperatures I am going to have to come up with even more ideas. How are you beating the heat this summer?

2 comments:

Karina said...

lol.... mostly staying inside.....Funny story about your tomatoes, we have been watering ours like crazy!

Moving A Mountain said...

I just keep repeating to myself...only a few more weeks, only a few more weeks. I told my mom, "only about 8 more weeks, and we will surely get a bit cooler." She pointed out that is about 2 months.

I can't think of months...only a few more weeks, only a few more weeks...