Thursday, July 7

A Smoothie A Day

So I have been drinking smoothies.  And like so many good things in life...chuckle....it began with a blog, Mountain Moving.  Like this mountain moving woman, I have wanted desperately to get  back in shape, to be able to get up in the morning without feeling like something a truck ran over in the night.  I am only 27, not 97.  I am tired of just wishing I could lose the last of the baby weight.  I am tired of by mid afternoon feeling like I have no energy at all.  Basically, I was just all around tired.

Now I realize that some of this tired has to do with the same reason it has taken me ten minutes to write this much of a blog post.  I have three young kids.  There are always faces, noses, hands, or butts to wipe.  There is always a meal or snack to be made or planned.  Hair to brush and clothes to put on.  Games to play and fights to break up.  And this is just before lunch.  You mamas out there know what I am talking about.  And let me just say that my kids are not the kids that will sit quietly in a play pen while mommy works, as one "wise" woman I over heard lately suggesting to a poor frazzled young mom.  My kids are the kids that at the age of two I find on top of my refrigerator.

I will give you a minute to ask the question begging in your mind to be asked.

(pause)

Common, you know you thought "What?"

Yes, you heard me right, I have found my then two year old on top of the refrigerator.  Why?  Because that is where mommy put the left over Easter candy.  How, you might also ask?  Well it was quite simply actually.  She simply climbed up on top of the trash can to the counter.  Next by simply using my kitchen aid mixer, she climbed the rest of the way to the top.

So I think we have established that I am tired, and we haven't even gotten to how many times I can still be gotten up at night, although thankfully that number has gone down.

But finally I faced the fact that I had to do something.  And some of that something included things that I have done before and I know helped.  One of those things is taking a vitamin B complex supplement.  I personally like the sublingal kind that you put under your tongue and they dissolve.  You can read some more here about the things that a B supplement may do for you.

The other thing that I have started is drinking a smoothie first thing in the morning.  Mountain Moving Woman as I have dubbed her, has been posting about the benefits of the smoothies that she has been drinking everyday, and I though, why not.  So out came my blender, and I began making smoothies. And not just any smoothie.  A super smoothie! (Feel free to insert hero music here...it's what I did in my head when writing this.)

Here is the recipe to the basic smoothie that I have been drinking each morning.

Super Smoothies

2 cups frozen fruit (I like blueberry, mango, peach, pineapple, strawberry)
5 oz super food juice (For example Sambazon Acai with Blueberry and Pomegranate)
1 capsule of the following
     Panex Ginsing
     Green Tea
     Alpha Lipoic Acid
     Omega 3 6 9 Complex
     Cinnamon with Chromium
              All of these you can simply open and empty into your blender, the capsules don't mix well
1 scope of protein powder (I use a simple vanilla whey protein powder that you can get a walmart)
2 teaspoons of Stevia in the Raw sweetener

Place all ingredients into blender.  Add water to blend to consistency you like.  Enjoy!

This recipe is my base that I have been adjusting each day using different fruit.  Sometimes I add milk instead of water and it makes it more like a milk shake.
    
You can add different supplements that are right for you.  There is lots of research about different supplements and the benefits that they can have.  I am not a doctor, and do not know your current medical conditions.  Use with caution.  (If I had a lawyer, they would make me say that.)

I have felt better in the past two weeks than I have in a long time.  I have had more energy, and have even lost a few pounds. Is it the smoothies?  They can't have hurt.  If nothing else the extra vitamins and minerals have to be healthy for me.  :)  Let me know if you have a smoothie recipe that you enjoy.  I would love to try it out.

4 comments:

thenewwittys said...

that is yum Stephanie...we make smoothies here too. We buy the wal-mart berry medley frozen fruits, orange sherbet, (organic, non-sweetened) yogurt, cranberry juice (you know, to poop well) and orange juice. THAT thing is sooo freaking good, but I'm pretty sure it's on the "not so healthy" scale. I'm glad you said that you've lost a few pounds, maybe instead of fixing my 'gourmet' eggs and two cups of coffee each morning I should make myself a smoothie. :) Nice post btw.

Booba Juice said...

Thanks L!

Amanda Rodgers said...

We love smoothies! I found out over the course of everyone else's food allergies that I'm allergic to milk, so I don't use protein powder or cow's milk in mine. We keep a pretty good selection of frozen fruit in our freezer, and I'll use whatever I feel like any given morning, fill the blender 3/4 or so full of that, then fill it full with liquid- water, almond milk, rice milk, or coconut milk are our most usual selections, Sometimes I'll add a big spoonful of red raspberry leaf (herb), or about a cup of spinach (before I add the frozen fruit). I've also found these packets at Walgreens called "Super Fruits" or something like that, all they are is dehydrated, powdered fruit with stevia added. They come in a box with the other supplements. I add one of those occasionally for the extra nutrient boost. The kids all go crazy over smoothies! If there's any left over, I'll pour it into popsicle molds for later.

We usually have something else with our smoothies for breakfast, like toast or eggs. Hmm, that sounds like a tasty idea for tomorrow!

Moving A Mountain said...

I love the smoothie pops idea!! Also, I had a thought in light of your need to avoid milk products. If you wanted extra protein, you could find soy protein powder at a health food store. I've not tried it, but it might be great for boosting protein in your diet.

Your smoothies sound good!