Thursday, August 28

The Power of Words

My children have to power to make my world. Last night, Alyssa was wanting some extra cuddle time. I had already tucked her in, and gone through all our bedtime routines. Her movie was on. (She always watches a movie going to bed. From the time she was little, she could never slow done enough to fall asleep. Watching a movie was the answer and usually she is out in just a few minutes.) However last night she kept coming back to our room, and wanting my attention. I could tell that she just needed a little extra. I was almost done getting Makayla down for the night, so I told her, in just a few minutes I will have Makayla down, and then I will come snuggle with you. She came back again. This time it was harder to convince her, but I did. Just a few moments later, I went to her room, and she was already asleep. In so many ways it broke my heart. I wanted so much to be with her at that moment, but there where other things that I had to do at the moment. I wished there where more of me to go around. I stood in the door way contemplating what to do. If I woke her up, she might not go back to sleep right away. If I left her to sleep, would she think that mommy never came? I woke her. The smile that she gave me, and the words that she said next made it all worth it. "love you mommy" I cuddled her up, and before I could even say I love you too, she was falling asleep. I said it any way. I said it several times.

Makayla does the same thing. Even now, as I type, I am holding her. I have the boppy, and am nursing her. I look down, and she smiles at me over my breast. Beautiful! She may not have any spoken words yet, but she still has the power when unspoken words.

Spoken or unspoken, words have power. I think of my own words. Do I use them for beautiful things, or do I use them to destroy. I say a tiny prayer, help me to make my words beautiful.

No comments: