Monday, September 1

Motorcycle Mama...I mean mommy...

I had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. On Sunday we had my brother and his wife over, and I cooked brisket, potato salad, cole slaw, and baked beans. (I really enjoy cooking) It was nice to just have three days off in a row, although like I told Bennett, mothers don't ever really get a day off. It's not like part of our benefits package...ten paid holidays a year, plus six sick days, and two personal days. Nope, mother hood for the most part is 24/7. Even when we are "off" on our own, we still are thinking about our children.

My favorite part of the weekend was today. Bennett and I went for a ride on the motorcycle. I have missed riding. I haven't really been for a ride since before Alyssa was born. In a lot of ways I have missed it. Of course it's different now. Now I have to find a sitter. Now I have to make sure to nurse right before we leave. And of course our ride entailed stopping by Walmart to pick up diapers. (YEAH!!!) Nothing like walking through Walmart, in full gear, straight to the back, and picking up diapers. But still, we had a great day. Bennett and I truly treasure the time that we get to be alone. To enjoy each others company without the girls. I think that is one of the best things about our marriage. The ability to date. It isn't always easy. And most of the time, its down right hard. But it is always worth it. This year we will be married for five years. To some, that is a lifetime. To others, we are just beginning. But for us, its our life. We are in the middle of it. To those that would say, just wait, you are still in your honeymoon phase, I would say, well, if we are smart, and remember the important things, then we will always be here. Growing together, not apart. Learning that each day begins a new adventure. Yes, there are rocky times. Yes, there are times that we aren't very happy with one another. But there are many, many great times. I want to remember this one, when the waves come crashing against us. I want to remember this day, when I was a motorcycle mommy.

No comments: