Saturday, January 24

Cinnamon Rolls

So several people from Facebook have asked me for the recipe to the homemade cinnamon rolls that I made today. The recipe that I used came from my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. The recipe seems lengthy, and detailed, but it really isn't that bad. I mixed the dough, and kneaded it in my Kitchen Aid mixer. It worked really well. I really think they tasted just as good as Cinnabon cinnamon rolls.

Cinnamon Rolls

4 3/4 to 5 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 tablespoon half-and-half or light cream
Vanilla Glaze (recipe below)

In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a saucepan heat and stir milk, 1/3 cup butter, granulated sugar, and salt just until warm (120F to 130F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Sir in as much remaining flour as possible. (I simply added a little four at a time to my Kitchen Aid, with the beater attachment on. Then I placed the dough hook attachment on.)

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic. (3 to 5 minutes total) Shape dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. About 1 hour. (I let my Kitchen Aid knead the dough for about five minutes. I then poured about 3 tablespoons of oil into the bowl, and coated my ball of dough. I then covered the bowl and put it into the oven, with a bowl of hot hot water underneath. This helps in the rising process. Especially when its cold outside.)

Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile lightly grease two 9x1 1/2 inch round baking pans, or 2 baking sheets; set aside. For filling stir together brown sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, and cinnamon; cut in 1/3 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Roll each half of dough into a 12/8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle filling over dough rectangles. Roll up each rectangle starting from a long side. Seal seams. Slice each roll into 12 pieces. Place cut sides down in prepared pans or baking sheets. (I did one big rectangle, and made large cinnamon rolls. It just depends what kind you want.)

Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap, leaving room for rolls to rise. Chill for 2 to 24 hours. Uncover; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Or to bake rolls right away, don't chill the dough. Instead, cover loosely; let dough rise in a warm place until nearly double, about 30 minutes.

Break any surface bubbles with a greased toothpick. Brush dough with half-and-half. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven. Brush again with half-and-half. Coll for 1 minute. Invert rolls onto a wire rack. Coll slightly. Invert again unto a serving platter. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze Serve warm.

I did place mine in the refrigerator over night. It seemed much easier that way.

Vanilla Glaze

In a small bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon light colored corn syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Add enough half -and-half or light cream (1 to 2 tablespoons to reach drizzling consistency.)


These where really good in my opinion. Let me know what you think.

No comments: