Monday, January 26

Soups

Our heat is out. Hopefully they will fix it tomorrow. In the mean time I have been making soup. There is just something about it being cold, that makes me crave soup. As a little girl, I remember my mom making soups when it would start to get cold outside. :)

This is an original. I even measured stuff tonight so that I could share the recipe. (Those that know me well know that I rarely measure things.)



Broccoli Soup

4 cups frozen broccoli
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 T olive oil
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups water
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
potato flakes (enough to thicken to desired consistency I use about 3/4 cup)

In large stock pot cook frozen broccoli with just enough water to cover bottom of pot. Cook 15 minutes, or until mushy. Meanwhile in a small skillet, cook diced onion and pressed garlic until caramelized. Once broccoli is done, let it cool for a few minutes, then put into a food processor and run until mashed. If you don't like large chucks of onion, add onion mixture. Other wise return broccoli and onion mixture back to pot. Turn stove to medium high heat. Add cream and water. Salt and pepper to taste. Once it has returned to a boil, turn off heat and add cheese. Stir until melted in. If soup is too thin add potato flakes.

Soup Bread Bowls

2 can Pillsbury pizza dough
olive oil
Parmesan cheese

Unroll can of dough. Cut half. Place on slightly greased baking sheet. With palm of hand smush down on dough to make a mound. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan. Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes. Cut out well in center. Cube remaining bread. Place your favorite soup in bread bowl. Enjoy!

No comments: