Monday, January 19

mummmm greek food

So I love Greek food. I mean absolutely love it. And I finally got brave, researched recipes, and made some this weekend. I was throwing a birthday party for my mother, who also loves Greek food. I made Tabbouleh (A refreshing grain salad mix of parsley, Bulgur, wheat, garlic, fresh tomato and mint topped with olive oil,) Tzatziki (Yogurt dip seasoned with grated cucumber and mild garlic,) Hummus (A blend of garbanzo beans, Tahini, fresh garlic and lemon topped with olive oil,) pita bread, and lots of other things. But the before mentioned where the new recipes that I was trying out. They all turned out so great. I really enjoyed them. I linked to the recipes that I used, and of course, if you know me at all, you know that I tweaked them. :)

I also wanted to share a recipe that I made up the other day. I was making burgers for dinner, and had wanted to have baked beans to go with them. But I didn't have any. I did however have a bad of died pinto beans. I have been buying more and more bagged beans, using them to supplement protein in our diets. So here is my recipe for baked beans. They where soooo yummy.

BBQ Baked Beans

1 lb bag of dried pinto beans
bay leaves
2 cans tomato soup
1/2 brown sugar
1 T mustard
2 cloves pressed garlic
4 T Captain Morgans Spiced Rum
Salt
Pepper

Place sorted and rinsed beans in crock pot. Add water so that it double covers the beans. Add salt, pepper, and bay leaves. (how much depends on your taste preferences. I used 3 bay leaves, about 3 T salt, and 3 tsp. pepper.) Set on high and cook for 6 hours, or until tender. Meanwhile in a medium bowl combine tomato soup, brown sugar, mustard, garlic, and rum. Mix until well blended, and refrigerate.

After beans are done, drain and add BBQ sauce mixture. Place back in crock pot and cook for another two hours.

It may seem like a lot of work, but I promise the results are well worth it.

1 comment:

Karina said...

yummy! I wish andy would eat more beans we could really make our grocery bill less that way.... but your recipe looks great!