Monday, November 17

I must be a mumbling idiot!

So I saw this TV report. Basically it was talking about how moms today have different things to teach their children, and mainly there daughters than moms of 5o years ago. My first thought was "wow you may really be on to something." But ultimately that isn't what made me so well really outraged. According to them, the people that they interviewed, and talked to...they where the "make at least 100K a year crowd." And they where able to help their daughters learn how to live financially.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think anything is wrong with women that make that much. It doesn't bother me if a woman decides to work out of the home. I personally believe that is her decision to make, and it is between her and her family. However, I didn't care for the insinuation that if I don't make that much, or if I chose to work from home, and don't work outside of the home at all, that I am some how inferior and don't have anything to contribute.

I got to talking to my husband about it. And the more I thought about it, the more it made me mad. I am a stay at home mom. That is my first job. But I have other jobs. I even run my own business from my home. But first and foremost for me, is the fact that I have two young children, and I am taking care of them. And just because I stay at home doesn't mean that I am not intelligent. It does not mean that I run around in my PJs and don't get out of bed till noon. It does not mean that I can not contribute to the next generation. And I know alot about finances. I contribute greatly in that department.

So my question is, how have you experienced this? What do you think.




******************************************************************************

So the other part of my day, was I had to meet a lady that was adopting one of our puppies. (three down, only one more to go) On the way Kayla is screaming, and I pull over at a gas station so that I can nurse her, and hopefully get her to go to sleep, so that the rest of our 45min drive isn't so terrible. I say, "now try and be quite so that I can get Kayla to sleep." To which Alyssa replies, "but then I can't hear my signing time song." Now I am trying to figure out what in the world she could be talking about. I didn't bring the signing time CD. "baby I didn't bring it, I am sorry, we will have to listen to it when we get home. Now try to be quite." "No, the one in my mouth." It took me a minute to realize that she had been singing the signing time songs, and now that I had told her to be quite, she couldn't hear them any more. :)

1 comment:

Karina said...

Oh you know how I feel about that. I do think that our first job as mothers is to be at home. That is important and the world "satan" wants us to be in the world and to think we arent important. We are world changers one baby at a time. Even when we feel like we arent doing much we are doing way more than we know or may ever know. I chose to stay home, I could have went to nursing school and be making lots of "money" but my children are more important than that. They deserve more and GOd has a higher calling on my life, and all moms for that matter, if only they could see it and believe it. Thanks for posting!